The Earth is the Lords and the fullness therof; The World and They that dwell there in.

Why I'm Here

This blog is to record not only our current home, decorating projects and yard/garden projects, but also plan to add photos & posts from previous houses and locations we've lived. I have too many pictures to add this to our family blog.
Rather than posting by dates, I will be editing and adding to posts by theme, or areas of the house/yard, making up the chapters to this blog. The posts will be separate by years however.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Elderberry bush


About 8 years ago someone gave me a "bush" in a pot, she said she had dug it up, and re-potted it, so was giving some away. I really had no idea what it was, but badly needing some "green" around our house, I gladly accepted, & after rather neglecting it in the pot for a month or so, finally got it planted. A couple years later, it really took off and has grown into a lovely addition to our front entrance area. Last year it got severely beaten by the ice storm, and some branches died off. This year the hail & wind beat on it some more, so we trimmed it up, and although we lost quite a bit of volume on it, it is doing great, and we have a bunch of new shoots that are exploding around it. Now they need dug up and transplanted. Last year I realized I could make jelly from the berries, but never got them picked in time, so that's my goal this year.
The bush is very intriguing to me. The flowers are beautiful little white clusters, then they turn flat and green, then turn into tiny purple berries!


No comments: