The Earth is the Lords and the fullness therof; The World and They that dwell there in.

Why I'm Here

This blog is to record not only our current home, decorating projects and yard/garden projects, but also plan to add photos & posts from previous houses and locations we've lived. I have too many pictures to add this to our family blog.
Rather than posting by dates, I will be editing and adding to posts by theme, or areas of the house/yard, making up the chapters to this blog. The posts will be separate by years however.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Memorials

~Cherry Trees~
Most of the trees we've planted have been fruit trees. Grandpa had Pear and Maulberry trees, and so we have tried to add to the fruit. One year we choose Cherry trees for our memorial planting. These are drawf trees, and other than last year when we lost all the fruit from the ice storms, these trees have been loaded! This year although there are plenty of cherries, many are blighted from the hail.


Cherry picking time- July 7, 2008


May 25, 2008


(May 08)

One of our traditions is to plant a tree on memorial day instead of taking flowers to the cemetery. We live on the place that belonged to my grandparents, and my grandpa loved trees. In fact, really he would plant a tree in any available spot that looked like it was available at the moment (well, that's a LITTLE exaggeration...) anyway he didn't have any use for spending money on flowers for graves, so we knew that he could appreciate us honoring his memory in this way. Not all our trees have lived, however we keep trying. This is the 2nd tree we've had in this spot, I believe it's a flowering crab, and although we just planted it last year, it's quite beautiful this year already. This is our only tree in the front yard, the first one we had survived moving it several months after we'd originally planted it, then a bad windstorm which nearly up-rooted it, and after the 2nd storm a couple months later it totally succumbed. I hope we have better luck with this one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maxine -

I'm enjoying your writing here. I appreciate nostalgia... grandparents and the home place and the way "things used to be." What a nice tribute to plant a tree in his memory.

We were talking around the table on Sunday about the things we do for those we love who have gone on... we really do them for us. To remind ourselves that we remember.

There is nothing I love more than holding Grandma's pincushion, and remembering, or seeing a hammer like the one Grandpa used, and remembering, or taking a sip of root beer, their favorite pop, and remembering.

Nice job here on this page! I'll look forward to more updates and history. :)