The Earth is the Lords and the fullness therof; The World and They that dwell there in.

Why I'm Here

This blog is to record not only our current home, decorating projects and yard/garden projects, but also plan to add photos & posts from previous houses and locations we've lived. I have too many pictures to add this to our family blog.
Rather than posting by dates, I will be editing and adding to posts by theme, or areas of the house/yard, making up the chapters to this blog. The posts will be separate by years however.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tornado damage!

I had just taken pictures around the yard on the 25th of May, only 4 days before the tornados.
This big tree on the left was so beautiful.
In 1991 we had a horrible storm, "straight winds" which basically did as much or more damage to Kearney as this tornado did, This tree was considerably smaller, but it was uprooted and laid over. We took a chain & with the truck pulled it upright, and staked it. It recovered nicely and grew well over the years since, so it was quite dismaying to see that it was taken down by this storm. This time because of the hight and size of the tree it was impossible to save it, the roots were torn and damaged. I remember when my Grandpa planted these trees. There was one more in the front that we took out several years ago, as it was to close to the tree on the right and neither had enough space to grow nicely. Now all the trees in front of Moms house are gone.
We are just glad that it was over far enough to miss the house, as 5 feet closer and it would have landed on it.

No comments: